These fundamental questions have interested and puzzled biologists for many decades. By developing powerful statistical models and algorithms, our group is attempting to attack these questions. Our central idea is to unravel the genetic roots for the outcome of a biological trait by dissecting the trait into its biochemical and developmental pathways. This requires the use of a multi-disciplinary tool. Our group is composed of all talented people trained in diverse areas, ranging from genetics and molecular biology to statistics and mathematics to computer sciences and engineering. Not just a rigorous training received, however, aggressive ideas and endless energy are our key to succeed!
|2000||Post-doc Associate (Statistical Genetics)||North Carolina State University|
|1999||Post-doc Associate (Biotechnology)||North Carolina State University|
|1996||Post-doc Associate (Genomic Mapping)||University of Washington|
|1995||Ph.D. (Quantitative Genetics)||University of Washington|
|1987||MS (Forest Genetics)||Nanjing Forestry University, China|
|1984||BS (Forestry)||Nanjing Forestry University, China|
|2008-||Professor of Public Health Sciences, Pennsylvania State University|
|2008-||Director, Center for Statistical Genetics, Department of Public Health Sciences, Pennsylvania State University|
|2008-||Professor of Statistics, Pennsylvania State University|
|2008-||Full Member, Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute|
|2008||Visiting Fellow, Princeton University (January-August)|
|2008-2010||Courtesy Professor of Statistics, University of Florida|
|2007-2008||University of Florida Research Foundation Professor|
|2006-2008||Member of Genetics Institute, University of Florida|
|2003-2008||Associate Professor of Statistics, University of Florida|
|2000-2003||Assistant Professor of Statistics, University of Florida|
|1987-1990||Assistant Professor of Forestry, Nanjing Forestry University|
- Statistical Genetics and Genomics
- Systems Biology
- Functional Data Analysis, Longitudinal Data Analysis
- Population, Quantitative, Developmental and Evolutionary Genetics
- Computational and Mathematical Biology
- Changjiang Distinguished Professor, Beijing Forestry University (2009-)
- Reviewer Board for Mathematical Reviews (2009-)
- Board of Scientific Committee, International Conference of Mathematical Sciences, Istanbul, Turkey, 4-10 August 2009
- Session Organizer for Statistical and Computational Genetics, Bio-IT World Congress of Genes, Fosan, China 6-8 December 2008
- Invited Speaker and Discussion Organizer, Beyond Genomes-Applying Systems Biology, Cambridge Healthtech Institute (2008)
- Paper on mapping developmental instability, awarded the second place of the Liang Xi Prize by the Chinese Society of Forestry (2008)
- Nominated by graduate students for Distinguished Teaching Award, UF (2008)
- University of Florida Research Foundation Professorship Award (2007)
- Gamma Sigma Delta Junior Faculty Award, the Honor Society of Agriculture (2006)
- Appointed Adjunct Distinguished Professor, Nanjing Forestry University (2005-)
- Appointed Adjunct Distinguished Professor, Zhejiang Forestry University (2002-)
- Outstanding Young Investigator Abroad Award (National Science Foundation of China). This prestigious award is only conferred to talented young Chinese scientists working abroad (2001)
- Appointed Adjunct Professor, Research Institute of Tropical Forestry (2001-)
- The Best Paper Award by the World Chinese Science and Technology Organization (1999)
- Training Award on Mathematical and Statistical Genetics by National Science Foundation. Department of Mathematical Sciences, Michigan Technological University (1999)
- Training Award on the Genetics of Non-Linear Dynamic Systems by the National Center for Research Resources. Center for Developmental and Health Genetics, Pennsylvania State University (1998)
- Appointed Adjunct Professor, Chinese Academy of Forestry (1998-2001)
- Appointed Adjunct Professor, Nanjing Forestry University (2002-2005)
- Fourth-class Scientific Invention Prize for high-yielding poplar hybrids (State Science and Technology Commission of China) (1994)
- Second-class Scientific and Extension Prize for fast-growing poplar hybrids (Ministry of Forestry of China) (1991)
- Research Excellence Award (State Economy Commission of China and State Science and Technology Commission of China) (1990)
- International Scientist of the Year for 2006, International Biographic Center of Cambridge, England, 2006
- Selected Biographee, Marquis Who's Who in the World, 2001-2009
- Selected Biographee, Madison Who's Who in the World, 2005-2007
- Selected Biographee, Who's Who in Medicine and Health, 2003
- Selected Biographee, Marquis Who's Who in 20th Century America, 2002
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (1996-)
- American Statistical Association (2001-)
- The Institute of Mathematical Statistics (2008-)
- American Society of Human Genetics (2008-)
- The Honor Society of Agriculture Gamma Sigma Delta (2004-)
- International Biometric Society (2000-2002)
- New York Academy of Sciences (1996)
- Genetic Society of America (1996)
- Botanical Society of America (1996-1997)
-  Wu, R. L., C.-X. Ma and G. Casella, 2007 Statistical Genetics of Quantitative Traits: Linkage, Maps, and QTL. Springer-Verlag, New York.
-  Wu, R. L., and M. Lin, 2008 Statistical and Computational Pharmacogenomics. Chapman & Hall/CRC, London.
-  Wu, R. L., S. Wu, and J. S. Yap, 2008 High-Dimensional Statistical Genetics in Plants. Springer-Verlag, New York (in press) (~300 pages).
- . Huang, Z. W., H. Y. Li, R. L. Wu and J. Y. Gai, 2009 Identification of quantitative trait loci for plant height growth trajectories in Soybean (Glycine max L. Merr.) using functional mapping. BMC Genetics.
- . Pinedo, P. J., C. D. Buergelt, G. A. Donovan, P. Melendez, L. Morel, R. L. Wu , T. Y. Langaee and D. O. Rae, 2009 Candidate gene polymorphisms (BoIFNG, TLR4, SLC11A1) as risk factors for paratuberculosis infection in cattle. Preventive Veterinary Medicine, www.elsevier.com/locate/prevetmed.
- . Luo, J. T., W. W. Hager and R. L. Wu , 2009 A differential equation model for functional mapping of genes affecting short-term virus dynamics. Journal of Mathematical Biology.
- . Li Y, and R. L. Wu , 2009 Modeling host-cancer genetic interactions with multilocus sequence data. Journal of Computer Sciences and Systems Biology 2: 24-43.
- . Li, N., K. Das and R. L. Wu , 2009 Functional mapping of human growth trajectories Journal of Theoretical Biology (accepted).
- . Wang, X. F., C. W., Xu, R. L. Wu and B. A. Larkins, 2009 Molecular dissection of endosperm traits. Trends in Plant Science (accepted).
- . Chang, S.-W., S. H. Choi, K. Li, R. S. Fleur, C. Huang, T. Shen, K. Ahn, D. Gordon, W. Kim,R. L. Wu , N. R. Mendell and S. J. Finch, 2009 Growth mixture modeling as an exploratory analysis tool in longitudinal QTL analysis. BMC Proceedings (accepted).
- . Wen, S., C. G. Wang, A. Berg, Y. Li, M. M. Chang, R. B. Fillingim, M. R. Wallace, R. Staud, L. Kaplan and R. L. Wu , 2008 Modeling genetic imprinting effects of DNA sequences with multilocus polymorphism data. Algorithms for Molecular Biology (accepted).
- . Li, Y., and R. L. Wu , 2009 Functional mapping of growth and development. Biological Reviews (accepted).
- . Wu, S., T. Liu, H. Y. Li, T. M. Yin, S. Wullschleger, G. A. Tuskan and R. L. Wu , 2009 An improved approach for mapping quantitative trait loci in a pseudo-testcross design: Revisiting a poplar genome study. Bioinformatics and Biology Insights (accepted) (invited).
- . Li, Y., W. Hou, W. Zhao, K. Ahn, and R. L. Wu , 2009 Predicting drug response with functional mapping. In: Systems Biology in Drug Discovery and Development (D. L. Young and S. Michelson, eds). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- . Cheng, Y., A. Berg, S. Wu, Y. Li and R. L. Wu , 2009 Computing genetic imprinting expressed by haplotypes. Methods in Molecular Biology (accepted).
- . Liu, T., and R. L. Wu , 2009 A Bayesian algorithm for functional mapping of dynamic traits. Algorithms 2: 667-691.
- . Yap, J., J. Fan and R. L. Wu , 2009 Nonparametric modeling of covariance structure in functional mapping of quantitative trait loci. Biometrics 65: 00-00.
- . Li, J. H., Q. Li, W. Hou, K. Han, Y. Li, S. Wu, Y. C. Li and R. L. Wu , 2009 An algorithmic model for constructing a linkage and linkage disequilibrium map in open-pollinated progeny populations. Genetics Research 91: 9-21.
- . Yang, J., R. L. Wu and G. Casella, 2009 Nonparametric functional mapping of quantitative trait loci. Biometrics 65: 30-39.
- . Hou, W., Q. Li, Y. Li, J. H. Li and R. L. Wu , 2009 Multilocus genomics of outcrossing populations. Theoretical Population Genetics 76: 68-76.
- . Wang, Z. H., Y. Li and R. L. Wu , 2009 Joint functional mapping of quantitative trait loci for HIV-1 and CD4+ dynamics. International Journal of Biostatistics Vol. 5: Iss. 1, Article 9. DOI: 10.2202/1557-4679.1136
- . Zhang, B., C. F. Tong, T. M. Yin, X. Y. Zhang, Q. Zhuge, M. R. Huang, M. X. Wang and R. L. Wu , 2009 Detection of quantitative trait loci influencing growth trajectories of adventitious roots in Populus using functional mapping. Tree Genetics and Genomics 5: 539-552.
- . Li, Y. C., J. S. Wu, Y. R. Zeng and R. L. Wu , 2009 A statistical model for mapping imprinted quantitative trait loci. Journal of Genetics and Genomics (accepted).
- . Li, Q., and R. L. Wu , 2009 A multilocus model for constructing a linkage disequilibrium map in human populations. Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology Vol. 8: Iss. 1, Article 18. DOI: 10.2202/1544-6115.1419.
- . Lin, M., A. Berg and R. L. Wu , 2009 Modeling the genetic etiology of pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic links with the ARMA process. Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology Vol. 8: Iss. 1, Article 1.
- . Chang, M. R., R. L. Wu , S. Wu and G. Casella, 2009 Score statistics of quantitative trait locus mapping. Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology Vol. 8: Iss. 1, Article 16. DOI: 10.2202/1544-6115.1386.
- . Wu, S., J. S. Yap, Y. Li, Q. Li, G. F. Fu, J. Luo, K. Das, A. Berg and R. L. Wu , 2009 A systems biology approach for dissecting plant development via functional mapping. Current Bioinformatics (accepted).
- . Pinedo, P. J., C. G. Wang, D. O. Rae and R. L. Wu , 2009 Risk haplotype analysis for bovine paratuberculosis. Mammalian Genome 20: 124-129.
- ...Full List
- . Statistical Methodology for Mapping Quantitative Traits
- . Statistical Molecular Genetics
- . Statistical Genetics
- . Guiding a dozen of graduate students for their independent studies of statistical genetics
- . Population Genetics and Quantitative Genetics: Advanced Genetics
- . International Workshop on Statistical Genetics